Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Easter Cambie!

I'm so in love with this dress! I made it to wear for Easter, and then wore it again recently to a Mother/Daughter tea, and I think its one of the most well-executed and pretty things I've made to date!

I made the full skirted version in a size 2, and shortened the bodice and skirt a bit to account for being on the "short side" (I'm 5ft 1.5 thankyouverymuch). The result is a "girly-twirly" dress thats so much fun to wear, though a little too sweet for everyday. I think I'll save it for special occasions. Like when I have to run to the grocery store and I'm all out of Me Made Clothing for Me Made May. Thats how much I love this dress. I'd wear it every day if I didn't know that it would be smothered in macaroni and cheese and dirt from my real job as a mom (I just moonlight as a sewist).

Anyway, the details: The main fabric is a silk/cotton/lycra challis from fabric mart, and apart from fraying like a madwoman, it sewed up beautifully. The tutorial for inserting the lining/zipper was super helpful, and the only place I got stuck was in sewing the lining to the bodice at the waist. The instructions have you "stitch in the ditch" or stitch by hand. I don't like the look of the stitch in the ditch method, so I tried to hand sew- and promptly got very turned around by how to get up inside the dress and make it work. Any suggestions for how this should be done? I left it alone, and it seems to be ok, though the dress is a bit heavy and I had to reinforce the straps to handle the weight.

The lining is a cream cotton lawn, and though I was initially concerned about using a non-stretch lining with a stretchy fashion fabric, it went together perfectly. That's why I love Tasia's patterns- I literally feel like they are made for me, and I know I can sew them up and expect to have to do little to no modifications.

I am constantly drawn in by some of the designs by Colette and other pattern makers that are beautiful, but clearly NOT designed for my small busted petite frame (Laurel Dress, I'm talking to YOU), and I always regret it because I spend hours doing loads of modifications. Since I'm not so good at modifications yet (I've only been sewing for a year, fyi), the results are sometimes...dodgy. So when I go back to my TNT pattern company- Sewaholic, its like a breath of fresh air.

Ok, enough singing the praises for the pattern. You want to see how it turned out?






Dontcha' just love spring? It makes me so happy. Hope your spring is warm and sunny as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment