Friday, May 17, 2013

Maxi Fever

Public Health Warning: I think I've caught the Maxi Fever. As widespread as it is contagious in the blogosphere, Maxi Fever is known to affect individuals with little to no previous interest in maxi dresses, leading them into prolonged ideation about how to turn over half their fabric stash (and if you've seen my fabric closet, you know that's alot) into maxi dresses for the sheer fun of feeling like you're wearing your pajamas all day while looking like a million bucks.

Treatment options are limited, and recovery is rare, leaving sewers at risk for hypothermia as winter comes around again and they refuse to wear/sew anything else.

As you might have guessed, I've sewn another Mission Maxi dress. This time, in paisley swirl border print ITY from fabric mart. This fabric is fabulous, but it sat in my stash for a while, as I tried to figured out how to maximize its double border. After my first two maxis, I knew I should just go for it. I squeezed the dress out of just 1.5 yards, making the neck and arm bands from fabric cut from the bottom to accommodate my height. Sometimes, its good to be short :) 

I had a little late-night sewing mishap on the neck binding, so I ended up turning it under and topstitching, which actually ended up looking even better, since the print matches perfectly that way. I was also pretty excited about the fortuitous print placement on the front of the dress, as the inward and outward swirls of the paisley have a slimming effect. Yes! 

Here are some photos of the dress on me:






I'd love to hear what you think! I have so many ideas in my head for more maxi dresses, but I'm trying to convince myself to go for some variety....

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhh....I know exactly what you mean! I am a maxi dress addict also. It's my "mom" uniform! Some ladies wear sweats and yoga pants, I wear maxi dresses. And to mix it up sometimes I wear maxi skirts ;)

    ReplyDelete