Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mission Accomplished!

Mission Maxi: Accomplished!

I recently tried out the "Mission Maxi" Pattern by Jamie Christina. I've made her Miz Mozelle dress as a top, and the fit was spot on, but I must admit, I was skeptical that a Maxi dress could work on my petite, had 2 babies body. Whenever I've tried them on off the rack, they have always been horribly proportioned- too baggy in the hips, too clingy over the tummy and Way Way too long.

But Hello! This Mission Maxi pattern was the answer to my maxi-yearning (yes, thats a thing).

The first dress I made for my father in law's birthday party, and my hubby deemed it "too sexy" for everyday wear. It is a size 2-4 and fits like a glove. Fabric is some sort of super curly poly/metallic spandex from Jo Anns. The straps got a little tricky on this first version, but I widened them and took up the shoulders in the next one to compensate, and it came out perfectly. I also widened the bindings to make it less cleavage-bearing. Of course, I cut about 3 inches off the hem, and left it raw. Insides are serged, and binding is done a la Sewaholic Renfrew.

First Mission Maxi. 

Seriously, I wore this second one to work the other day, and it felt like I was wearing pajamas. Super comfy, sexy pajamas. Now if that isn't an oxymoron I don't know what is, but its true.

So what are you waiting for? Make it now. You won't regret it. I think I might make 10 of these for the summer. And did I mention it came together in 2 hours? Yep. I'm in love. Now excuse me while I go make another one...

Second Mission Maxi. In Soft as a baby's bottom rayon jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment